Basketball Star Jonathan Isaac Makes History as First NBA Player to Stand During National Anthem and

Jonathan Isaac, a player for the Orlando Magic, stood out as the only NBA player who chose to stand during the National Anthem as the NBA league resumed play after a 20-week hiatus due to the coronavirus pandemic on Friday night.

Despite being a Black player at 22 years of age, Isaac remained standing while players, coaches, and referees from both teams took a knee during the playing of the National Anthem. Furthermore, he notably did not wear a “Black Lives Matter” shirt like the rest of the players.

Basketballer Jonathan Isaac becomes first NBA player to refuse taking a knee and not�wear

A basketball player has become the first NBA star not to kneel during the national anthem as part of the Black Lives Matter movement since the league restarted on Thursday

— SkyNews (@SkyNews) August 1, 2020

The ongoing Black Lives Matter protests, ignited by issues of police brutality and racism in the US, have gained global momentum, with sports teams wearing the BLM logo and kneeling during the national anthem at games.

Post-game, Isaac clarified his decision not to participate in the kneeling protest alongside his teammates.

He explained to Bleacher Report’s Taylor Rooks: “Absolutely I believe that Black lives matter. A lot went into my decision…kneeling or wearing a ‘Black Lives Matter’ t-shirt don’t go hand in hand in supporting Black lives. For me, Black lives are supported through the gospel, all lives are supported through the gospel. We all fall short of God’s glory, and at the end of the day, whoever will humble themselves and seek God and repent their sins, then we could see our mistakes and people’s mistakes and people’s evil in a different light, and that it would help bring us closer together and get past skin color, get past anything that’s on the surface that doesn’t really deal with the hearts of men and women.”

“I don’t think that kneeling or putting on a T-shirt, for me personally, is the answer.”

Jonathan Isaac says he believes Black Lives Matter and explains why he chose to stand during the anthem and not wear a BLM shirt pic.twitter.com/wxE7ej2IcX

— Bleacher Report (@BleacherReport) July 31, 2020

Reactions on social media reflected a mixed response to Isaac’s stance.

“I’m very curious about — and will be patient for — Jonathan Isaac’s explanation here,” tweeted basketball writer Dane Moore.

“Standing for the anthem is one thing… But seeming to be intentional about *not* wearing a Black Lives Matter shirt…. I dunno, man…”

“Drag me I don’t care..” said another Twitter user. “What Jonathan Isaac did was his right to do. I lost no respect for him and still respect him for who he is. If a player stands or kneels, I could care less.”

Following Isaac’s decision, the DeVos family, owners of the Magic, released a statement in support of the players’ pre-game protest on Friday.

“The DeVos Family and the Orlando Magic organization fully supports Magic players who have chosen to leverage their professional platform to send a peaceful and powerful message condemning bigotry, racial injustice and the unwarranted use of violence by police, especially against people of color,” the statement said.

“We are committed to walking alongside our players — today and in the many days ahead — in the pursuit of lasting and impactful change.”

ncG1vNJzZmimlazAr7vWp6CgnaKerm%2B6xmiZmqubmsGjrculZKyskad6q7vNmquhmZ5itrStwJxkppmbmsButMisq6iqqWKutHnFoqmsrF2jr6J5z6WYsp2iYsGwedKtmKecXZnCs7XNoGSnmaSevK%2Bty2aYp6yYmrpurc2dZKenpGLEpq3RZpmlmZOgeq211Z6qZqWRqcGmvoysn6KqpGQ%3D